Medical marijuana is a derivate of the plant called Cannabis sativa. They are used to alleviate symptoms caused by certain medical conditions. Marijuana contains over 100 chemicals known as cannabinoids, each of which has a different impact. The plant or chemicals in medical marijuana can also treat certain diseases or illnesses. Given below are 6 medical marijuana uses that are commonly applied.
- Pain management: Marijuana is quite effective to control pain that plagues millions as they age. It is safer than opiates, which are highly sedating. It can ease nerve pain or aches caused by multiple sclerosis in general as these are areas where no other choices exist. Marijuana enables patients to resume previous activities without being disengaged or feeling completely destabilized.
- Muscle spasticity: The only registered medical marijuana derivative called Sativex is used to treat patients with muscle spasticity. It is commonly found in patients with multiple sclerosis. Muscle spasticity is a continuous and rapid contraction of muscles causing tightness and stiffness that can interfere with day-to-day functioning.
- Reduce inflammation: The cannabinoid contained in marijuana can reduce inflammation caused by conditions such as irritable bowel syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis, and Crohn’s disease. Patients with these illnesses have claimed that decreasing inflammation in their bodies can improve overall health and general well-being.
- Nausea treatment: Although the components of marijuana, Nabilone and Dronabinol, and their medicinal properties have been the topic of debate and research for decades, they have medical benefits that have been proven. Nabilone and dronabinol prescribed in tablet form can treat nausea in cancer patients who are undergoing chemotherapy.
- Seizure control: Cannabinoids have been effective for controlling seizures associated with 2 forms of epilepsy, Dravet syndrome, and Lennox-Gastaut syndrome, that are impossible to deal with using other medicines. However, not enough studies have been done on the effect of medical marijuana on the treatment of seizures caused by other forms of epilepsy.
- Mental illness: Medical marijuana uses are not restricted to physical diseases and illnesses only. There is some evidence to suggest that medical marijuana can treat certain mental illnesses such as depression and post-traumatic disorder symptoms. However, the experts caution that it is not a proper treatment for other mental conditions, the likes of which are psychosis and bipolar disorder.
How to get it
Some places have authorized medical marijuana uses. In such places where marijuana is used for medicinal purposes, you need a statement written by your doctor to get it. The letter must describe that you need medical marijuana to treat your stated condition or to alleviate certain side effects. Also, your name should appear on an authorized list that lets you purchase marijuana from an official seller.
Although the above conditions can be treated using medical marijuana, there are some downsides that you need to be aware of. Frequent use can affect your memory and can cause long-term damage to your cognitive abilities as well as your driving skills. In addition, smoking marijuana can harm your lungs and cause lung cancer, not to mention the tremendous risk of substance abuse and addiction.
Click to know more information :